Carry Out for Kids
CARRY OUT FOR KIDS works with Broward County Title 1 schools to send food home with children who are chronically hungry or food insecure. The children take food home for the weekend when school breakfasts and lunches are not available. Teachers and school staff members identify a child as chronically hungry or food insecure if he or she rushes food lines, eats quickly, regularly asks other students and teachers for food, and saves and hoards food to take home.
CARRY OUT FOR KIDS is housed on the Pompano Beach campus of Christ Church. The ministry gathers food through food donations and food drives, as well as purchases with monetary donations. A team of volunteers coordinates with the schools to identify the number of bags needed each week, and then packs and delivers the bags to the schools. The School Liaison or School Volunteer accepts the delivery, stores and distributes the sacks every Thursday. We also coordinate holiday deliveries with each school.
Volunteers help shop for supplies, as well as sort and stock groceries. Other servants bag the food each week, while yet another team of servants deliver the food to the schools.
For more information on CARRY OUT FOR KIDS, please click here to contact Mark Thomason.
CRITICAL VOLUNTEER NEEDS:
- DELIVERY TEAM: Help deliver bins of ready-to-go bagged groceries. Deliveries are usually made on Thursdays, starting at 9am sharp from the Pompano Beach campus. The time commitment is approximately 1 hour. Large cars or SUV’s are helpful, and volunteers must be able to repeatedly lift up to 20 pounds. Please note that it's not necessary for volunteers to be available every week. To volunteer, or for more information, please contact the church office at 954.771.7300 to be put in touch with Delivery Team Leader, Tom Kellermeyer.
OTHER VOLUNTEER NEEDS:
- SHOPPERS: Monthly or bi-monthly shopping trips, stock and sort items, take items back to project room at Christ Church Pompano Beach site. Break down cardboard containers and clean up the room and dispose of trash.
- BAG ASSEMBLY: Fill plastic bags with non-perishables from Christ Church Pompano Beach project room. Fill delivery bins with assembled bags. When finished, clean up room.
- FOOD DRIVES: Assist with handing out brown bags or flyers after church services, and help collect, transport, sort and stock the donated items.
- COMMUNITY LIAISON VOLUNTEERS:
- Contact stores (Publix, Winn-Dixie, Albertson’s) to organize food drives on their premises.
- Contact municipalities (city commissioners, etc), service groups (Jaycees, Rotary, etc) schools (public and private), restaurants, local businesses, the VFW, Boy/Girl Scouts—to generate public interest, corporate giving (resource, volunteers, charity nights).
- Help assemble a team to run a food drive at your workplace or neighborhood, and return the collected food to the Pompano Campus.
- Contact other churches to do the same or to help them start a pilot program in their school districts.
- GRANT/ FUNDING SEARCHES: Use available resources (Internet, public listings, and local libraries) to find and apply for money to fund the work of CARRY OUT FOR KIDS.